Are you looking for SEMrush alternatives on the web ? If yes, then here’s a list that’ll provide you with free as well as cheaper alternatives to this SEO tool. There are SEMrush similar tools also present in the list, which may not provide everything that they do. However, those are completely free of cost.
SEMrush is undoubtedly a very good SEO planner. However, it is also very expensive and doesn’t fit into everyone’s budget. Moreover, when it comes to ease of usage and quality of reports, some of its competitors do have an edge over it.
Here’s the list of the best SEMrush alternatives available on the web that have been reviewed below:
|Google keyword planner||100% free|
Which SEMrush Alternatives are Free of Cost?
For start-ups or professionals at their beginning stage, free tools are simpler to use. This is because at this stage, the lesser risk you take, the better it is. Moreover, you’re bound to have financial constraints that will prevent you from using paid tools.
Considering these things, the web has tools that are 100% free or provide you with an option to use their paid version when you can afford to. Here’s a list of 5 SEMrush free alternatives that are reliable and easy to use:
This free keyword research tool now also provides the service of free site audits. If you are a new blogger, this tool will be great to start with. This is not just because it is free of cost, but also because it is extremely simple to use. You don’t even have to create an account separately.
So, here’s how keyword research works here:
- You open this website and login through your existing signed-in Gmail ID.
- On the search bar, you’ll get an option to select the country you’re willing to target.
- After selecting the country, you need to type your main target keyword.
- Ubersuggest will give you results for long tail keyword suggested along with your input.
- You’ll get an accurate average figure for the monthly search volume along with CPC, SEO difficulty and SEM difficulty for all the keywords in the list.
- Additionally, you’ll also find options for suggestions, related keywords, questions, prepositions, comparisons and content ideas.
- If you go to “content ideas”, you’ll get information on existing URL along with page title, estimation of visits (an accurate average figure), approximate number of backlinks of the page and number of social media shares (Facebook and Pinterest).
In case you’re willing to go for site audit, it’s even simpler. Here’s how it works:
- On opening the site audit page, select your country and enter the URL of your site on the input bar.
- As soon as you hit search, the first thing you get to see is the site score (on-page), the average organic traffic per month, keywords on which you’re ranking organically and number of backlinks.
- The next thing you’ll find will be all the errors, warnings and recommendations for making improvements in your site.
- It has a simple and user-friendly interface.
- You don’t need to create a separate account.
- The usage is 100% free.
- It provides enough number of long-tail keyword suggestions.
- It is not as accurate as paid tools
- The total number of suggestions are limited.
Google Keyword Planner
Which keyword research tool can be more trustworthy than the king of the web itself? It is the main reason why this keyword planner is widely used – not because it’s free but because it is by Google. like most of its software tools, it has made its keyword planner free. Only, you need a Gmail account to use it.
This is how it works:
- You open the keyword planner and set your target locations. Google maps is available for help.
- Next, you input your main keyword and press search.
- Google provides you with several pages full of suggestions – both long tail and short length keywords.
- You’ll get the average monthly searches (data in a range), CPC and Competition (High/Medium/Low).
- You can shortlist a few and them to your plan. On opening this plan, you’ll get the CTR (click-through rate), estimated clicks and estimated impressions for the keywords too.
- It is 100% free of cost.
- Since it is by Google, you can rely on it.
- Setting target location is more customized here.
- You can export the data in Excel.
- The figures for monthly searches are not accurate.
- Competition is estimated as high, medium or low – again, very vague.
SEMrush is not all about keyword planning! There’s a lot more to SEO and an important part of it is checking for backlinks. Usually, we tend to look for backlinks on a competitor’s site. At Monitor Backlinks, you can search for backlinks for up to 2 websites in a day if you use it for free. Paid versions will allow you unlimited search.
This is how it helps:
You enter the URL of the site whose backlinks you wish to monitor.
The list below will contain the URL of 300 sites that give a backlink to the one you input.
Regarding these links, you’ll know if they’re “no follow” or “do follow” links, URL of the exact page it is pointing to, the trust score, citation score and anchor text.
- Gives accurate information on backlinks.
- You can visit the URL and check how it works.
- The data can be exported in CSV format.
- It allows for only 2 competitor searches for free in a day.
- Free searches won’t give more than 300 URLs of sites giving backlinks, so you never know which ones you’re missing out on unless you pay.
This amazing free site provides all kinds of SEO metrics for free – be it backlinks, keywords, rankings, competitors or PPC-related information. You’ll even get statistics for Facebook here. You may call this a proper, direct competitor of SEMrush. Information is provided in pictorial presentations as well as list form which can be exported in pdf.
Following are the metrics you’ll get against input of one domain:
- SEO visibility for both mobile and desktop
- Organic rankings
- Keyword research
- Content performance
- Provides everything you need to know for your site’s SEO analysis.
- Gives accurate information on everything you need.
- All reports can be exported in pdf form.
- You don’t need to create an account for everything.
- A lot of information is provided only on paid registrations.
- Though it is cheaper than SEMrush, it is not cheaper than all its alternatives.
Another direct competitor of SEMrush, this site provides all the necessary details for SEO analysis. This too is partially free and has options for paid plans too. However, the best part about this site is the ease of usage. There is one input box where you type a keyword or a URL, depending on whether you want to do keyword analysis or site audit.
If you input keywords, you’ll get the following for both organic and paid results:
- Search volume (monthly) with an accurate average figure
- Cost per click
- Competition (an accurate number)
- Keyword difficulty (a score out of 100)
However, if you input a URL, you get the following details:
- List of sites providing backlinks
- Keywords they are ranking for
- Number of Facebook shares
- Competitor analysis
- All information relevant for content marketing
- Existence of duplicate pages or content if any
- Technical information such as load speed, broken links, etc.
- It provides more details compared to many SEMrush free alternatives.
- The paid version is cheaper than SEMrush.
- It has an extremely user-friendly interface.
- The data can be exported offline.
- There are limitations to the number of searches you can conduct in a day for free version.
- You’ll get lesser details in your reports if you have a free plan.
SEMrush Cheaper Alternatives
No matter how much you enjoy getting things for free, if the same service is available at a cost, it means the paid services are a lot more accurate. While sites that provide 100% free usage will not provide you with accurate data ever, the ones that allow you to switch to paid versions will have even lesser features for free usage.
SEMrush is expensive for many people. the most basic package starts at $99 a month. There are plenty of tools out there that will provide much cheaper rates, allowing you to save as much as $60 per month with some alternatives:
6. KWFinder Keyword
This keyword research tool needs you to create an account before you start your keyword research. It provides you a free trial of 10 days after which you need to start paying them monthly. The most basic plan is for $29 per month that allows you to make 100 searches per day. The premium plan comes for $39 per month and the agency plan comes for $79 per month.
Here’s how it works:
- On the input bar, you select your target location as well as language.
- Once you input your target keyword and hit search, you’ll get a list of long-tail keyword suggestions along with the main input.
- The list will get basic results for average monthly searches, cost per click and competition.
- Additionally, you’ll get the existing top 10 competitors’ list which will include their page URL, domain authority, page authority, number of backlinks, number of Facebook shares and other metrics.
Apart from keyword research, KWFinder also provides SERP checking, link mining and checking site authority of a domain.
- Provides a 10-day free trial
- Allows simultaneous login in 2 or more machines for premium plans
- Is cheaper than SEMrush even if you take the agency plan
- Provides automatic questions that appear on Google
- The basic plan has quite a lot of limitations
- It does not provide a thorough site audit
7. SpyFu Competitor
Providing A-Z information for your SEO planning as well as competitor analysis, this alternative of SEMrush is way cheaper – whether you take-up the monthly plan or the annual plan. From detailed keyword planning to digging through your competitor’s strategies, you can enjoy every benefit possible at much more reasonable rates.
Following is the information you’ll get:
- Organic rankings by keywords
- Backlinks provided by various sites
- Competitor analysis
- Keyword research – according to the URL
- SERP analysis
- Advice for ads
- You can get some limited number of results even without logging in.
- It has a user-friendly interface.
- There are blogs and free tutorials that can help you out.
- Everything can be exported in pdf format.
- The paid plans are very cheap and provide unlimited results.
- The results are only based on US/UK.
- Its crawling ability is limited.
- It does not have a proper keyword planner; you get them through the URL only.
This site provides in-depth reports for everything – from keyword research to site audits and competitor analysis. Not only is the interface user-friendly, but the presentation of the results is also provided in a reader-friendly format. Moreover, there’s a huge variety of options to choose from, categorized and presented in a proper structure.
Following are the features of this site:
- It provides accurate data on search volume, CPC and competition for keyword planning.
- You’ll get detailed reports for backlink analysis and site audits.
- The competitor analysis is detailed enough for you to dig into their strategies.
- Having an account with Ahrefs means getting metrics on the google search results page too.
- It additionally acts as a Chrome and Firefox extension.
- The interface is user-friendly, allowing you to customize your search easily.
- The presentation of results is in a pictorial and reader-friendly format.
- It provides a lot more details compared to other SEMrush cheaper alternatives.
- There are several tutorials available for beginners on their site, which are free to use.
- You can’t even try it out without registering with a plan.
- Compared to other SEMrush cheaper alternatives, this is a bit expensive.
- You cannot add more users to your account.
- For keyword research, SEMrush is considered better.
Which SEO professional does not have a Moz Bar added to their browser? One of the most popular sites that has been used to learn about SEO and perform detailed planning for the same. Moz is considered to be the most reliable SEO tool when it comes to checking the domain authority and page authority of any site. It is also one of the most trustworthy sites for performing SEO audits.
You’ll get the following features for free:
- The Moz Bar, which is a chrome extension pointing the DA, PA, backlinks, HTTP status, information on mark-up and certain on-page elements for any website you open.
- Various tutorials and guides to learn about SEO.
On the other hand, Moz Pro will provide you with a lot more:
- Detailed keyword analysis with accurate data on search volume and keyword difficulty.
- Digging deep into all the backlinks the site has received.
- Organic rankings against various keywords.
- Competitor analysis.
- Detailed reports for site audits.
- One of the most trustworthy sites for SEO.
- Reliable SEO recommendations received during planning.
- Has extensive material for free learning.
- Keyword research provides extremely accurate and detailed results.
- Has the most accurate and detailed reports for backlink analysis.
- The user interface is friendly and easy to use.
- The premium plan is expensive compared to the SEMrush cheaper alternatives.
- Sometimes, the site works a little slowly when retrieving data.
- The cheapest plan is at par with SEMrush and has limited tools.
10. SEO Powersuite
When using a paid tool, what would you really prefer – paying monthly or annually, or paying just once? Of course, a lifetime license is a lot cheaper and more convenient to take. This is where SEO Powersuite gains its competitive edge. At a lifetime license, you get to do a detailed competitor analysis, link analysis, website audit and rank tracking.
Following are the unlimited features available at the basic professional lifetime license:
Competitor analysis: Get detailed reports on the backlinks acquired by the competitor, the keywords against which they rank organically and other details of their strategies.
Link analysis: This is more for your own website, where you can keep a track of your backlinks. Along with that, you’ll get reports on broken links and duplicate content or pages against a link.
Website audit: You’ll get accurate details of any technical issues with your site with recommendations to make improvements. It will also provide scores for every aspect of your website such as ranking, content optimization, etc.
Rank tracking: This also applies to your own website. It is important to know that against which keywords is your site ranking organically. These metrics are provided for each and every web page that would be ranking on Google.
- Provides 10% discount to master-blogging professionals.
- You can also avail a one-month free trial.
- Providing lifetime license makes it cheaper than all paid tools.
- Gives very detailed and thorough reports.
- It provides recommendations to make improvements in your site.
- You have to download and run the content.
- It does not provide proper keyword research.
How to Shortlist the Best SEMrush Alternatives and Choose One?
There are several free tools like SEMrush as well as alternatives that are simply cheaper. While free tools are always appealing, they will always have limitations in their reports compared to paid websites. Hence, you need to make your final purchase decision based on the following 5 factors:
Data Requirement: This is the first thing you need to consider. If you have not launched your site yet, you simply need competitor analysis and keyword research. Site audit is not possible for you since it is not live yet. Considering you have lesser resources available, making the decision of starting with a free tool might be more helpful.
Your Budget: If you cannot afford to pay for SEO planning tools, it is ok to use free tools for a while. The data they provide are not totally inaccurate or unreliable. You can manage for some time with them. Once you start earning out of your site, you can start taking up paid tools for your site. Here again, take-up plans that are long-term as they will always cost you lesser.
Features of the Provider: Usually, proper planning for digital marketing demands you to have all sorts of metrics on competitor analysis, site audit, ranking and keyword planning. Thus, go for tools that provide you with everything in one plan. It is not practical to use one site for keyword planning and another for site audit when some tools provide both with detailed results.
Reliability: Sites like Moz and Google have a reputation built in the global market. The DA and PA determined by Moz is considered the most accurate. Thus, with the help of these free tools, observe these sites carefully. Test the client-base they have after which it can be easier for you to decide which one is more appropriate for you.
Option to Export Data: This is an important feature you need for a reporting site to provide. It does not matter in which format it allows you to export the data, but you must be able to save the information. These detailed reports are very useful for making future growth analysis and hence you should be able to save every single report in your machine.
SEO might be considered as an emerging field in the marketing industry but already has heavy competition. As a beginner, it might be difficult for you to choose your SEO planner tool. Whether paid or free, SEMrush or similar tools that provide tutorials will also be helpful to you when you begin your journey.
Making a wise decision for your planning will determine your growth and rankings on Google in the next one or two years. so, among all the SEMrush alternatives that you went through, does anyone appeal you to switch from your current subscription?